Lane Bryant

Pink October: Have You Been Screened for Breast Cancer?

Pink October: Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This year I officially turned 40. When I visited my doctor for my annual exam, the first piece of paper she handed me was an order for radiology for my very first mammogram. The word mammogram sounds scary to me. I am one of those women who has yearly exams but dread hearing bad news or the outcome of whatever blood test she has ordered. I like to think of a mammogram as a bad job; you don’t want to go, but you know it’s necessary to pay whatever bills you may have. It’s important to have annual screenings.

Check out these facts about Breast Cancer:

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women; it is not race or ethnicity-specific.

It’s also the second most common cause of death from cancer among white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native women.

In 2015, it is estimated that 231,840 new cases of invasive breast cancer will occur in the United States alone.

The two most common risk factors for breast cancer is getting older and being female.

I like to think of my breasts as my girls. When you have a set of good girlfriends, you check on them to see if they’re okay. You call to make sure everything is going well and that things are working out for them. Do the same for your breasts; go out and get checked and encourage others to do so as well.

red_ad300_250

I have joined Glamulet’s advocacy for the Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign. This campaign aims to raise awareness to prevent breast cancer. For every charm you buy, they will donate 50% of the sales to a charity fund for breast cancer. To read more about Glamulet’s campaign click here.

No matter how scary it may be, getting checked is always the best course of action.

Share your stories, have you been screened for breast cancer?

Sponsored Post – Powered by Brandbacker

22 Responses to “Pink October: Have You Been Screened for Breast Cancer?”

1. Holly says:

I have not been screened. Although I do always get checked out, I find the older I get the more important it is to get everything checked out. Guess I will be making some appointments soon.

2. Great information and bravo for communicating this vital information to readers!

3. A good reminder for everyone.

4. Amanda says:

I haven’t been screened, but I only turned 21 yesterday. Although, when I was 18 I found a breast lump and had surgery to get it removed and tested for cancer. Luckily it was all clear then! Thanks for reminding me and others!

Amanda | thedeerandthewolf.com

5. Tyra says:

Glad that October is bringing awareness but we have to take care of ourselves all year. But everyone be sure to be screened!

6. I am only 35 so I haven’t had a mammogram yet. I do have an order in my purse as I requested to have one done early. My Mom is a breast cancer survivor {2012} so I am adamant about self exams and such. My mother’s tumor was not detected on her mammogram, doing a self exam saved her life.

7. I’m only 25 so I haven’t had a mammogram yet but I definitely agree that it’s important to check on your girls! Self-awareness is the first step!

8. I had a baseline Mammogram earlier this year at 35. I had no idea there even such a thing but I’m glad I had it done and everything is well.

9. These stats are so scary, but I’m surrounded by breast cancer survivors. I just had lunch with a friend who is a survivor today. This sounds like a great organization.

10. LaShawn says:

I am always so worried about breast cancer until I remember that I know so many people that have beat it! I had a mammogram early on in my 20s due to fibrocystic disease and now that I’m about to enter my 40s, I know it’s time! Thanks for bringing awareness this month!

11. Sasha-Shae says:

I need to get screened. Haven’t done one ever I think and its definitely good to at least do it and know what’s going on.

12. Myeshia says:

Thank you for this. It is scary because more than likely it is possible that you know someone who has it or has survived it. I’m 28 so I have not had a mammogram but I make sure I do self checks and of course the doctor checks at my annual visits.

• shauntee says:

I did self checks as well up until I turned 40. You’re right I do know someone who survived and someone who died. It is scary!